Friday, June 27, 2008

Thanks for the Memories

For me Mr. Meddock will be just that, Mr. Meddock. I don't believe I could address him any other way. I read some of the other blogs, nicknames I am unfamilar with. Even if he would ask me to, calling him by his first name would be difficult and very uncomfortable. In my early years this would have been out of fear, now it is because of the utmost respect I have for him. So Mr. Meddock, this is for you.
Over the years I have told others what a fantastic coach, teacher and mentor you were but I never had or took the time to tell you. I am very thankful to have that opportunity now and tomorrow at PNC Park.
Thank you for taking the time and effort to help shape into who I have become. The one on one "discussions" held in the B-E hallway or shop are more appreciated now than they were then.
Everyone generally knew what a trip to the hall was going to entail. But what has stuck with me over the years was the respect you showed us by the discussions ( or chewing outs) being held in private. They were embarrassing moments then, fond memories now.
Thanks for teaching us to be the best we could be at a sport, whether it be in gymnastics, track or in my case both. Being a great coach does not necessarily mean knowing the sport inside and out. I see pro athletes who knew their sport very well, do, in my opinion, very poorly as a coach.
You were not a gymnast yourself, could not perform the tricks you were teaching, but yet taught us not only how to perform them but perform them well. The sign of a true great coach and teacher.
Thanks for making sure we got where we needed to be, practice, meets, camps and college.
I am not sure exactly how influential you were but I believe that all who wanted to go to college did and alot got some financial help in doing so. I am very grateful for all your help.
You taught me alot in my younger and formative years, and continue to teach me in my later years. Your selfless acts of attending both of my parents funerals, for me was so overwhelming.
After all the years of no contact between us, you take time to still support me. In your humble way you showed your respects.
For these and many other things I am grateful to you and for you Mr. Meddock.

In Admiration and Respect

Mike Kellinger

No comments: